Earlier this week, Matthew and I checked out the new Council Bluffs location of one of our favorite restaurants, Dixie Quicks. Needless to say, we were not disappointed. The new location is full of big-city style but maintains the charm of all of the Dixie’s previous locations. We can’t wait to eat many meals at the new spot. The restaurant opens for business today, and is located at 157 W. Broadway in Council Bluffs. Check out my dining notes column in the Omaha World-Herald tomorrow for a full report on the opening night event and an interview with co-owner and RNG Gallery director Rob Gilmer.
The Insider’s Guide
Get it here.
Crescent Moon's Blackstone Reuben
August: Fried chicken
September: The Old Fashioned (Cocktail)
October: Chicken Tikka Korma
November: Eggs Benedict
I go thrifting over my lunch hour, find neat stuff and sell it to fashionable people like you.
Thrift Lunch on Etsy
- It's one of those "I thought I knew, but I actually didn't know" food reviews this week. Gotta love the unexpected. m.omaha.com/go/review-new-… 3 hours ago
- @BruceShayne thanks for the heads up. I occasionally do re-reviews. I heard about one BBQ (I think?) pop up at Culprit, but no others. 3 hours ago
- Here's @redcloud_scribe in a CBS News piece about the identity of the Iwo Jima flag raisers. twitter.com/redcloud_scrib… 23 hours ago
- RT @BillRandbyKETV: Randby Factor of 8 this evening, have to get outside! Hourly planner here: on.ketv.com/hourly7 https://t.co/JcKPuQS… 23 hours ago
- RT @redcloud_scribe: Column today: A famed photo, a best-selling author, a rubber-duck designer, an Irishman with a hernia & the truth. htt… 1 day ago
Chefs Jessica Joyce and Paul Urban run a pretty cool little hole-in-the-wall in downtown Omaha. I really like it. The short form: The couple make street food with an upscale twist. The daily specials are not to be missed. And the creative, tasty vegan offerings appeal to former meatless folks like me but they’re good […]
M’s Pub has been around as an Omaha favorite as long as I’ve been around (longer, actually.) And it’s still great. The short form: M’s Pub has a formula for success: wonderful atmosphere, excellent service and tasty, reliable food. They’re balancing what has worked for 40 years with some contemporary twists that keep things from […]
Portovino is the newest restaurant in Midtown Crossing, and it replaced Loft 610 last fall. The short form: I was disappointed in a lot of things. The food wasn’t great. The music was too loud. And the oven that looks like it’s wood fired is actually gas-powered. One bright spot: a delicious, beautiful roasted beet […]
Last Friday I wrote a story about wine dinners in Omaha. I went to one at the Boiler Room and had a great experience. The short form: Wine dinners are expensive but worth the money. You’ll get to try wines you wouldn’t be able to access otherwise and eat some great food while you do […]
Dixie Quicks is one of my favorite places in the city, so when I realized I could review it, well. I was both excited and nervous. But I think it turned out ok. The short form: Dixie Quicks is now in Council Bluffs, but the food is still amazing. And the third outpost is by […]